Goodbye

22 Oct

We have to say “goodbye”.

into Gufport

Our little boat, Bushranger, did everything we asked of her.

rainbow

She braved the rough seas of Lake Michigan, rode the tide through the Carolina shallows, weaved through the crab-pots of the Mexican Gulf, and threaded her way through the crazy drivers in New Jersey.  She’s been exactly what we needed/wanted – an economical, stable, and comfortable home with which to explore the American Great Loop.

But she is no longer ours.  Bushranger now has a new family to protect.  As of today, Heather and Mark have adopted Bushranger and decided to start their own adventure.

wp-1477152215948.jpg

This is bitter-sweet for Boyd and me.  We are so pleased that Heather and Mark are Bushranger’s new owners but we ache to say goodbye to our little boat.  Without Bushranger we would not have seen such wondrous and glorious sights…

dismal6

sunrise

2trump

mist

…nor would we have found such varied and special friends.

I refuse to list all the wonderful friends that we’ve discovered along the way (such a list would make this final blog entry excessively long) but know that we will treasure every moment, every memory that you ‘all have given us. I will not say goodbye but I will say, “until we meet again” – and know that I pray that we will…

To all my gentle followers, thank you for supporting us through this five year adventure (yes, we actually started all this in 2011).  No one is more surprised than I at how much I have enjoyed this blog.  I would never have imagined that authoring a blog could be such a hoot!

It’s been an honor and a pleasure.  So, as of this moment, this is ‘Captain Starlight’…

gerogetown5

…and ‘Mrs Bushranger’ …me

…signing off

33 Responses to “Goodbye”

1. Bob Stevenson October 22, 2016 at 13:42 #

After meeting you at
    Wheeler State Park and following your blog we feel a certain kinship with you and will miss sharing in your adventures. Wishing you all the best.
    Bob & Elaine Stevenson
    “A Frayed Knot”
    Goose Pond Marina

• MrsB October 22, 2016 at 13:47 #

Thank you Bob and Elaine. It was a pleasure meeting you and thank you for being such a loyal ‘follower’ of our blog.

2. Alex Ertz October 22, 2016 at 14:06 #

It was a pleasure to meet you and watch your entire Great Loop saga unfold…from the many hot days in the boatyard at Aqua where you both worked so hard to transform Bushranger into the capable craft she is today, through your years’ long journey around Eastern North America. We are proud to have called you slip neighbors, greeted you when you pulled into Gulfport just a couple days after your overnight Gulf crossing, and to have been able to celebrate Loop completion with you last month when you were taking the Tennessee River “victory lap” at Goose Pond Marina. Bon voyage in your future adventures in Oz!

–Alex and Andre

• MrsB October 22, 2016 at 14:11 #

Alex, you have been a stalwart friend throughout. I hope we get to see you some time in Oz so we can continue our friendship

3. jdepodwin October 22, 2016 at 16:18 #

“And that’s all she wrote…” I am really going to miss this blog. Thanks for taking all of us along on your exciting 5 year journey.

• MrsB October 22, 2016 at 17:17 #

Amen ….Elvis has left the building. ..

4. Cathy & Jim Taylor October 22, 2016 at 18:06 #

We will miss following your adventures and helpful information for loopers or just anyone enjoying the trawler life. Bon Voyage!

5. Cheryl Molinaro (nee: Schackenbach) October 22, 2016 at 18:49 #

So sad to see this journey end. But you had a wonderful time and it’s been so great to read your blog which makes it feel as if one is part of your adventure. Where do ya’ll go from here?? Will you go back to Australia or stay in the States?? Please keep in touch! And good luck on your next adventure.

• MrsB October 22, 2016 at 20:57 #

Hello Cheryl, I didn’t even know that you were following my Bushranger blog! I’m so glad to hear from you! .

6. Marianne October 22, 2016 at 19:49 #

I will miss reading about your adventures. Now what?

7. lifeat6mph October 22, 2016 at 19:56 #

A sad moment for sure, but what an accomplishment! I wish that we would have had an opportunity to meet along your trip.. best of luck in your next adventure… jt

8. Bill Martin October 22, 2016 at 21:00 #

Mission accomplished! Great job from start to finish, impressive to say the least. Thanks so much for sharing the adventure. Now what?! Bill & Dumi Martin

9. Ward Hack October 22, 2016 at 22:00 #

Thank you for sharing your adventure – it was an education as well as the excellent photos. Hope you can visit us when you get back to Oz.

Best wishes, Ward and Lin

• MrsB October 23, 2016 at 08:30 #

I hope we can too! We’ll give you a call when we get back.

10. Big Bro October 22, 2016 at 23:40 #

Well done, now to the next item on your Bucket List!

• MrsB October 23, 2016 at 08:29 #

…I wonder what the next Bucket list item will be…so many to choose from….

11. rodcrobinson October 23, 2016 at 05:33 #

Ah gee. So the time has come….We’ll miss your adventures on the American waterways. Time to become landlubbers again. Perhaps you’ll do the occasional stint on Sydney Harbour with a rental boat. See you soon in old Sydney town.

• MrsB October 23, 2016 at 08:28 #

Thanks Rod, we’re looking forward to catching up with you guys when we get home.

12. Robin Dare October 23, 2016 at 09:10 #

FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS
    We’ve enjoyed reading your posts.

Rob and Robin Dare
    Chocowinity, NC

• MrsB October 23, 2016 at 09:49 #

Thank you for those wishes. All the best for you and your loved ones.

13. Lenoir Stanley October 23, 2016 at 17:04 #

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I loved sort of “traveling with y’all”. Here’s to more adventures

• MrsB October 23, 2016 at 17:05 #

Thank you Lenoir. Hope we meet again!

14. Maggie Thomas October 23, 2016 at 18:46 #

I can feel Bushranger’s happiness that she is taking another adventuresome Aussie couple around those magnificent waterways and countryside. Welcome back L&B.
    Thanks for the journey. I will miss your blog.

• MrsB October 23, 2016 at 22:00 #

That’s so nice Maggie. Thank you

15. Terry jones October 23, 2016 at 23:03 #

Wow goodbye bushranger like you said it was always his adventure he wanted to do now it’s your turn to enjoy whatever y’all are going to do next I wish you safe journeys Your friend Terry Jones

• MrsB October 24, 2016 at 07:15 #

Thank you Terry for both your help and friendship

16. Robyn and Howard October 24, 2016 at 04:53 #

It’s been wonderful following your adventures, and although we haven’t commented, we’ve been with you all the way. So glad you had such a wonderful time, and we’re looking forward to hearing about many more exciting times in the future. Lots of love!

• MrsB October 24, 2016 at 07:16 #

Hello Robyn. We definitely need to catch up when we get back to Oz. Thank you for those kind words

17. Daniel DePodwin October 24, 2016 at 09:46 #

Such a wonderful journey! It was excellent to follow it on this blog and see all the fun, excitement, challenges, etc. along the way! We’ll miss ya Bushranger!

• MrsB October 24, 2016 at 13:54 #

Thank you Daniel!

18. Kathryn Gatlin October 26, 2016 at 13:58 #

How much we’ve enjoyed your friendship and your adventures! Bob and I are very sad to lose you to the great island down under. It has been a lot of fun to share “fixer-upper fever” with the Bushranger crew. We already miss you at Pickwick!

19. carolyn depodwin November 4, 2016 at 11:33 #