Green Turtle Bay

9 Aug

1observer

I don’t know how this could have happened!  Suddenly Bushranger is a mere 200 miles away from Pickwick Lake (the completion of our Loop)! How could the end be so near, so quickly!

Don’t get me wrong.  We are still a few days from ‘crossing our wake’, but we’ll be there soon.

Here’s the latest:

wp-1470755992592.jpg

After a long day on the rivers, Bushranger pulled into Green Turtle Bay Marina as the sun was setting.  The crazy Mississippi transitioned to the sedate Ohio which then became the familiar Tennessee (near where Pickwick Lake is located) and finally, for a mile or so, the Cumberland.  I think that may be a Bushranger record for number of Rivers transited in one day.

…but first I need to tell you about Locks 53 and 52 on the Ohio River…

We were warned that there was normally a significant delay at these locks.  We were also warned that there was construction near there.  So, in the words of my Captain, here’s what we did:

“Bushranger went through the Olmsted Dam (Ohio River mile 965) construction zone.  The process involved phoning the dam construction control about two miles out for instructions.  We were advised to loiter at mile 966 and monitor VHF 3A for contact from the escort vessel that would lead us through the very busy dam construction zone.  We had a short wait before Tug 32 led us through the construction zone and over the lowered wickets of Dam 53. Dam 52 also had the wickets lowered so we had an easy passage on the Ohio.”

…IT WAS SO COOL!

6weaving1

…so instead of waiting hours to get through these two huge locks, we were ‘escorted’.

4toys3

Little Bushranger got to weave between all the machines, and barges, and la-de-da-big-toys-for-boys like we were some big mucketty-mukks!

5weaving2

Oh, yeah, we’re cool…

7good bye

Good bye Tug 32!

There’s lots more to tell, but my fingers are running out of gas.  So, I’m off for a cup of coffee.

See you at Pickwick Lake (I hope) over the weekend!

P.S. Green Turtle Bay:  t/9, s/9, l/6

9 Responses to “Green Turtle Bay”

1. Alex Ertz August 9, 2016 at 13:07 #

Brag, brag, brag! 🙂

2. Allan August 9, 2016 at 14:32 #

As I remember, there is a place in town famous for “pork chops” Interesting restaurant to visit. Ask at the marina. Cheers Allan (it could also be at your next stop?)

3. Allan August 9, 2016 at 14:36 #

It’s called Patties Settlement 1880, a must see on the loop.

• MrsB August 9, 2016 at 15:09 #

I see a picture of their 2 inch pork chop! Yum!

4. Martha and Jim August 9, 2016 at 14:44 #

Wow and Wow! Jim and I have followed your incredible journey for 2 years (as you were our lovely dockmates at Aqua, we had to keep up) And now to see you at the end of your accomplishment seems surreal. Martha VI will be on E dock @ 42 this weekend. Hope to welcome you back.

• MrsB August 9, 2016 at 15:08 #

Oh Martha, that’s so lovely! We’ve asked Rodney if he could find us a place on E Dock so we truly feel like we’re coming home!

5. Tjones August 9, 2016 at 21:32 #