Mother Nature and the Weather Gods

16 Jul

We had a long way to travel today, so we were up with the sun.
quiet morning
We patiently waited our turn to pass through the Charlevoix Bridge…
under the bridge

(photo courtesy of our friends onboard Irish Lady Too who passed through just ahead of us)

Irish Lady Too

…so we began the lonnnnng journey of just over 70 miles (when you’re pedaling as fast as you can and still top out at just over 8 miles an hour, 70 miles is epic!)

Michigan is a funny state. Not ‘funny’ as in ‘ha-ha’; funny as in you’re in this lush, green part of the world when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, you see these massive sand dunes!

dunes

You’ve got to take your hat off to Mother Nature. She has designed a state where kids can ‘ski’ down ‘slopes’ anytime of the year (snow in the winter and sand in the summer).

Around the time we were passing these cool ‘ski areas’, Mother Nature decided to let those nasty old weather gods play with little Bushranger.

wave

Yep, those are waves crashing over Bushranger’s bow.

I know that you salty dogs out there with your sleek sailboats and rugged Naval vessels are guffawing at my petulance (good words, hey?). You have an urge to tell me about the really BIG waves you had to endure during you maritime adventures. Fair enough, but keep in mind, Bushranger is a true ‘live-aboard’. Every pitch and every yaw, every bump and spit of those ‘little waves’ has the potential to mess up the bread dough that I often have rising (or the cake, or the pizza dough, or whatever – you get the picture). …enough said, right? (play nice or you won’t get any cake…).

Now, to my main point – Bushranger made it the full 70+ miles and ended up at the public marina in Frankfort Michigan.

frandfort

(I’m sure you’re getting tired of hearing this but…) What a LOVELY town!

garden2

This town has only the marina and a single main street. Along that single street are gardens, playgrounds, four ice cream shops (YES, I said FOUR!), and a bunch of Mom & Pop shops and restaurants.

playground1

garden

So, I will close this post with a message for those pesky weather gods – do your worst, gents! I LIKE it here so it wouldn’t bother me in the least if we spent a few extra days…

P.S. t/9, s/9

11 Responses to “Mother Nature and the Weather Gods”

1. Paul K July 16, 2016 at 18:46 #

Thanks for the update. Beautiful photos, including the small ripples on the water 😉😉

• MrsB July 16, 2016 at 20:47 #

…you salty dog you. … lol

• MrsB July 17, 2016 at 11:40 #

….you call that a wave? !? 😉

2. Heather July 17, 2016 at 06:37 #

Love the commentary. I’m living it with you.

• MrsB July 17, 2016 at 11:39 #

Come on along man. …company just makes it that much more fun. ..

3. jdepodwin July 17, 2016 at 06:40 #

Sounds like it was quite an adventure on the “high seas.” Did your “kitchen” and all your drawers survive the crashing waves? So glad you made it safely and you reached a beautiful little town where you can treat yourself to ice cream. Yes!

• MrsB July 17, 2016 at 11:38 #

Yep we were properly stowed and organized. I learned my lesson after crossing the Gulf of Mexico.

4. Lenoir Stanley July 17, 2016 at 08:03 #

Really enjoyed our visit with you in Petoskey. Safe travels. Love reading about your adventure. See you at Pickwick!

• MrsB July 17, 2016 at 11:35 #

Hi Lenoir! Great to hear from you. We also enjoyed our time with you and look forward to raising a glass of champagne with you at Pickwick Lake.

5. Joan Hilarides July 31, 2016 at 11:50 #

It was great fun meeting you both and Bushranger. Thanks for the chance to have a ride out on what we call “The Big Lake”. I loved the shots in downtown Chicago having taken an architecture tour of that area.

• MrsB July 31, 2016 at 13:28 #

We also had a great time Joan. Thank you so much for all your hospitality and friendship.