Families

16 Aug

I’m afraid that Bushranger has fallen to the back-burner for me this week—I’m up in New Jersey visiting with my family. But don’t worry, Bushranger is still being attended to by her loyal Captain. Boyd has been very busy epoxying this and painting that.

Bushranger’s first mate (that’s me), on the other hand, has been flitting from one entertaining moment to the next. We do a lot of laughing in my family. I think it’s because there always seems to be a lot of funny things that happen when we get together. The world can be, if you look closely enough, a very funny place…and my family has a tendency to contribute to the general hilarity in the world. I’ll give you an example – when I first arrived at my sister’s place, I was serenaded by my parents, my sister and one of her sons with a song that my sister had composed for the occasion. It’s called “We’ve Been Working on the Trawler”….have a look….

“We’ve Been Working on the Trawler”   (tune: “I’ve Been Working on the Railroad”)

“We’ve been working on the trawler all the live long day.
We’ve been working on the trawler just to pass the time away (and indeed we have!)
Can’t you hear the captain shouting, “We’re off to the hardware store!”
Can’t you hear the first mate shouting, “The weather’s good, let’s caulk some more!”

We’ll varnish and sand, measure and caulk.
Reroute some cables, and have time for a walk.
Forget about the rain, the heat and the sun
Yes, and we are having fun!

Someone’s in the galley with the captain
Someone’s in the stern, could it be Koko?
Someone’s in the trawler with the captain
Wonderin’ when they’re gonna go?

And a’ singing…

Varnish, caulk, sand, and blog
Cut, reseal, then bake some bagels
Sodder, paint and sweat some more
Bushranger, you’re never a bore! …… And we love you!!!”

I wanted to record it for you to listen to, but wasn’t able to by the time I left.  You have to admit, my sister’s a clever girl, isn’t she!

8 Responses to “Families”

1. Pat August 16, 2012 at 16:05 #

That ballad is a guaranteed winner! It needs to be sung at the champagne launch of the mighty trawler, Bushranger.

2. jdepodwin August 16, 2012 at 17:09 #

Thanks, LynnAnne. It was really a lot of fun to put this together (with lots of laughs) and have input from many helpers. And as I mentioned to you when you visited, to create the song, I had a chance to reread blogs from many months back. I was so amazed and impressed by you and Boyd’s ingenuity, perseverance and patience through this whole “recreation” of Bushranger. Boyd, by reading the blog a second time, I had a much deeper appreciation for the complexities and details of what you and your first mate have tackled over the year. Your analysis of problems and then creative solutions were ingenuous! Compliments to the entire crew (and you too, Koko!)

• The Robinsons August 16, 2012 at 17:14 #

Thanks, Jeanne. I’ll pass it on to both the Captain and the mascot. ….you’re a clever girl…..

3. Amanda August 16, 2012 at 19:13 #

I love it – including the part where amongst all of that bagels were being baked 🙂
    Enjoy your family time.

Amanda

• The Robinsons August 17, 2012 at 07:47 #

It went to quickly, Amanda. It was a wonderful week – full of lots of laughs.

4. Rod Robinson August 17, 2012 at 00:47 #

Great lyrics!! Got to hand it to your sister! I can just imagine the fun of the rendition of it!!

• The Robinsons August 17, 2012 at 07:47 #

I am still determined to record it and put it on the blog….I’ll figure it out!