Cabinetry and Woodworking

13 May

Boyd has been very hard at work in the aft stateroom (translated, in the bigger bedroom).  Sometime in the distant past, Bushranger was upgraded from a full size bed to a ‘short queen’.  That was a great idea; however, the ‘upgrader’ didn’t finish the job. True, they expanded the bed frame to accommodate the new mattress; however, they did not modify the cabinets to allow the new frame to fit in the room. In other words, they let a cabinet stick out into where the mattress is supposed to be…and they just lived with it that way.

Well, not us! Boyd has removed the offending cabinet in preparation for War-Monkey to redesign that section of cabinets.

Here’s the truncated cabinet awaiting its makeover.

Now, about my ‘brightwork’, I finally figured it out! My heat gun is my new best friend. It has stripped the varnish off four pieces of woodwork beautifully.

It’s not so hard once you get the knack — I just count to ‘eight’ on each spot and the varnish loosens up beautifully!

I then tried to hand sand the pieces, but found that it would take me yearrrrs to complete it by that way – so I bought a little electric detailing sander.  It is a cute little thing called a Black and Decker Mouse…

…and that cute little sander does the job perfectly!

So, look out boat, here I come!

8 Responses to “Cabinetry and Woodworking”

1. Paul Kinghorne May 13, 2012 at 18:11 #

That might be the first time a sander has been called “cute”..

• The Robinsons May 14, 2012 at 08:09 #

….do you think the folks at Black and Decker would be offended?….

2. Colin Cooper May 13, 2012 at 20:13 #

Dremel also have a range of tools that are useful for very detailed work.

• The Robinsons May 14, 2012 at 08:08 #

There were so many to pick from. I went online and check all the reviews. I needed something that can get into very tight areas. I ended up picking the mouse because it is so light, although I have to admit the ergonomics of it are not perfect. It would be easy to loose control of it when my hand started to get tired. I’ll just have to stay strong and awake when I use it. How are things in Canberra?

3. Ward May 14, 2012 at 04:39 #

Well done Mouse – these are skills I picked up after leaving the Navy too!
    And now for the too late advice because I now realise old boats are the same as old cars – you buy the best and most expensive one you can afford because it is cheaper than refurbishing the others. Cheers, Ward

• The Robinsons May 14, 2012 at 08:12 #

Ya’ know, I think that any ‘used’ boat we would have picked would have needed a lot of work. It’s because both Boyd and I like to dig down and see HOW things work, that Boyd discovered all the challenges with Bushranger. I think we would have found lots of stuff to fix even in a relatively new boat. …and I’ll pass on you ‘cudos’ to my friend Mouse.

4. pat merten May 14, 2012 at 11:07 #

%There’s a best seller in all of this. Surely other boaters would have an interest in knowing how to reconstruct an old boat without totally losing your mind.

• The Robinsons May 15, 2012 at 07:56 #

You know, I think you’re right….but that’s work, so you can count me out. Work is too much work!