It’s Snowing in Iuka!

29 Nov

There’s a bit of snow in Iuka.

We woke up this morning to see snow on the leaves.  Must have snowed last night – if ya’ want to call THAT snow.  The weather channel kept telling us to expect two to four inches.  I expected to see SNOW—not a bit of white on a couple of leaves. What a disappointment.  I wanted to go down to the marina to get a picture of Bushranger with a lovely draping of white snow.  No such luck.

We pack up today. Bushranger is all set to survive the winter without us. Boyd has to haul some ‘stuff’ out to our storage locker and I need to sort through the cabin, separating what belongs to us from what belongs here.  This cabin was a lovely place to spend a month. We actually got to meet the owners of the cabin yesterday – Scottie and Betty.  Scottie saw us departing yesterday and ran up to our car to ask how our stay was.  Boyd mentioned that the vacuum was unusable, and, abbra-ca-dabra, there was a new vacuum on the porch one hour later. I met Betty mid-afternoon.  She was putting a little decorated Christmas tree on our front porch. She is a lovely lady. I invited her in for coffee and biscotti and we chatted for almost an hour. Turns out that Scottie is a very handy guy – he actually built the two beautiful decks that are on this cabin. I’m very glad we had a chance to meet both of them before we left for Virginia.

Oh, and an update on our friends on Algonquin, once again their departure is delayed. The part they were waiting on to fix their boat is being a bit of a pain in the butt to install. So, Kathy, Garth and Zeke have been delayed again.  They were doing the loop to help escape the cold and snow of Canada, and look what happened – they got stuck in Mississippi for the first snow fall in November in 20 years.  Go figure…

…so we met them for dinner at Freddy T’s.  We are going to miss their company – whether we leave first or they do.

We’ve had a good run here, but now it’s time for a change.  Boyd will be spending Christmas with the kids and our Aussie family in Sydney while I spend it with part of our Yank family here in the US. Bushranger will just have to wait until February. So, I’m signing off until we return in February.  Thanks for all the comments and support.

…and, by the way, it has started snowing again…yay!

8 Responses to “It’s Snowing in Iuka!”

1. Pat Merten November 29, 2011 at 18:45 #

You have had a variety of experiences and met an interesting group of people. Great beginning for the Loop. Can’t wait to hear the next chapter!
    Safe journey to DC. Mom

• The Robinsons November 30, 2011 at 20:58 #

Thanks, Mom. I’ll call when we get to Falls Chruch. Luv ya

2. Rod November 30, 2011 at 05:03 #

Thanks for the commentary LynAnne. We look forward to more instalments in February. We will miss you over here in Oz for Christmas but it will be nice spending time with your family for Christmas. We are looking forward to seeing Boyd.

• The Robinsons November 30, 2011 at 20:52 #

Have a wonderful Christmas, Rod. Love to everyone.

3. Kathy November 30, 2011 at 20:24 #

We made it out of Iuka too! Couldn’t stay there without the three of you! I have subscribed to your blog but in the meantime keep in touch and safe land travels to you both. I believe the staff of Aqua Yacht Harbor will miss the two of you, did you see how sad their faces were when you told them it was your last day.
    Till we meet again.
    Kathy Garth & Zeke

• The Robinsons November 30, 2011 at 20:33 #

I’ve got to say, Iuka was getting a bit cool for my tastes. And I am so glad you finally made it out and are back on your adventure in ‘Algonquin’. But I have to say, every time I think of Iuka I will think of the crew of ‘Algonquin’. You made our time there much more fun than it would have been. Safe travels…. your friends not quite yet in ‘Bushranger’

4. Daniela December 15, 2011 at 01:45 #

You are so lucky THAT it was snowing! we in the middel of the mountains are still waiting. We have this warm winds (maybe you remember the FÖHN) by 10° C and more.
    Anyway i love it to read about your progresses! i wish you in the States and Boyd in SYD a wounderful christmas. Love Daniela and familiy

• The Robinsons December 15, 2011 at 08:13 #

Hi Daniela! I was so glad to see your comment. Bushranger is now sitting all alone in Mississippi, while I am in Washington and Boyd is in Sydney… and there is no snow in any of those places. But, I am hoping we will see some snow up in New Jersey (at my sister’s home) for Christmas. I hope the snow comes to visit you in Switzerland. Have a wonderful holiday. Give our love to everyone over there.